Monday, August 19, 2019

I'm back {sorta!}

 THANK YOU to everyone who has messaged, text, commented, called, brought in food....etc, etc this past week!

It has been SUCH a blessing to our family and we are OH SO GRATEFUL!!

Things are slowly getting back to normal around here.

For those of you that don't follow me on IG, here's a quick run down of how things have been going...

I had my surgery last Tuesday.

I haven't put on make-up or a bra for that matter since this pic was taken right before surgery.   
We got all checked in Tuesday morning and the waiting room felt a bit like the scene in Zootopia where the Sloth works the front desk.  Anyone remember that? 

Anyhoo, it was a lot of hurry up and then wait time.

Joe and I laughed at dumb stuff while waiting
which is good because I do believe that laughter is THE BEST medicine of all.  

I started getting nervous while I was waiting for everything to go down and started asking Joe silly questions like....


I'm sure it's happened to someone before, right?
But wouldn't you just DIE!!!

Joe finally had enough of my irritable questions and had to take his own meds just to get through the day.
Totally not kidding.

The surgery lasted about 2 1/2 hours.
I don't remember a thing excpet for the nurses trying to wake me up in post-op with ice chips. 

Everything went great!

They took out my uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes.....tightened up all of my ligaments down there, tended to my rectocele and put in a bladder sling.
{Pretty dandy for just 2 1/2 hours, right?}

The pain however aftewards was unbearable.
That first night in the hospital was pretty bad.

Imagine the WORST menstural cramps you've ever had + the WORST labor pains you've ever had and then mix that all with the WORST gas pains you've ever had.

That's what I was feeling once everything wore off. 

All I could do was cry.
And I was OH SO SORE down there.

They tried to get me up to walk a few times that evening but each time I'd try and get up, my blood pressue would tank and I felt like I was going to pass out.

It wasn't pretty.

They FINALLY got some pain meds to work and the following day before I was discharged, I was able to get up and walk around the nurses station. Thankfully!!

I got home Wednesday afternoon.
Cubby was waiting patiently for me...

My mom played the role of Mary Poppins while I was gone and had the house cleaned, the kids taken care of and fed and my laundry all done. 

The only bummer about coming home was that I had to wear a catheter home.  And keep it in until Friday.

I think normally they don't make you do this but since I had the bladder surgery on top of the hysterectomy, it was mandatory.  

Catheters are no fun. 
I was MORE than ready to take it out {ew!} on Friday.

Things since then have been slow moving....but they're moving!!

Each day gets a little bit better.

Many have asked what it feels like and if I'm being completely honest {you know I always am!} it feels as though I've been hit with a baseball bat right below my stomach.

I still can't sit straight up and either have to be standing or laying down.  The doctor said she put 70 stitches in me 😱 but like I said, I'm making progress every day.

I haven't been outside since I came home last Wednesday.
{Not that I'm complaining though since
 it's been 110 degrees outside!}

The fact that I can't really do anything hasn't really bothered me YET because all I've wanted to do was sleep and lay around.  I've had zero energy and sort of just feel like all of the wind has been knocked out of me.

I suppose that will get better as this week goes on.

Staying down will be hard for me as I am not one to sit still for too long.  I'm the type of person that HAS to get out of the house at least once or twice a day so we'll see how this goes.
I've been told by MANY of you {including my doctors and nurses} that I need to take it easy and not over-do it or I won't get very far with the whole recovery process.

So that's what I plan to do now.

Watch Netflix.
Post new items in my Etsy shop on my laptop {because I thought ahead and already took the pics!}

And rest some more.

As long as I've got my family by my side and my cold Diet Dr. Pepper next to me...I can do it, right?

Oh and one last husband really has been the best.  He's changed my catheter and waited on me hand and foot all while playing Mr. Mom and Working Dad.

I love him.
Even if I am the reason he has to take his meds.


  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better

  2. Hope all is back to normal really soon. Hate to see you stay in the house too long.